Are you looking to jumpstart your healthy habits and give your body a boost? Look no further than this delicious and nutritious cranberry detox smoothie. This vibrant pink smoothie is made with a powerhouse combination of cranberries, beets, mandarins, bananas, ginger and coconut water. This smoothie is packed with vitamins, minerals and antioxidants that work together to support your body's natural detoxification process and give you a liquid vitamin boost to kickstart your health journey.
Not only is this smoothie delicious, but it also packs a punch of health benefits that will leave you feeling refreshed and energized for the year ahead. So, let's get started and give your body the boost it needs to start the new year off right!
Why should you add this smoothie to your diet?
The last quarter of the year is jam-packed with holidays that are fun, sometimes exhausting and always filled with many delicious dishes. We’re all for enjoying the holidays to the fullest and experiencing all that each season has to offer. But after months filled with decadent dishes, we often feel a little sluggish and in need of a detox to restart our system.
Smoothies are one of our favourite ways to quickly add loads of nutrients into our daily diet. They are convenient, quick to make and easy to adapt to your own needs and preferences.
Try swapping your regular breakfast with this healthy smoothie and your day is off to a great start! It’s the perfect way to incorporate fruits, veggies and a ton of vitamins and minerals into the first meal of your day.
This gorgeous bright pink smoothie is vibrant in colour and its burst of tangy tartness will wake you right up in the morning. We love the sharp, mouth-puckering sourness that the cranberries add to this smoothie, but if you find it too much you can always add a little extra sweetness by adding some maple syrup or honey to the mixture. This will tone down the tangy flavour and make the smoothie a bit sweeter.
Health Benefits of this Detox Smoothie
The ingredients in this smoothie are loaded with nutrients. Together, the combination of the ingredients in the smoothie can help boost the immune system, improve digestion, lower blood pressure and lower inflammation, which can all contribute to a powerful detoxifying effect.
Here’s what each ingredient will do for your body:
- Cranberries: These tart red berries are very popular during the winter months. They are high in antioxidants and vitamin C, which can help boost the immune system and protect against infections.
- Beets: These root vegetables are amazing for your health. They are high in nitrates which can help lower blood pressure and improve cardiovascular health. Beets are also rich in folate and contain antioxidants and anti-inflammatory compounds that help the body protect itself against diseases.
- Mandarins: These juicy and sweet cousins to the humble orange are high in vitamin C, which is great for the immune system. They also add antioxidants and anti-inflammatory properties. On top of that they add fibres which are important for your digestion and gut health.
- Bananas: Bananas are a great way to make smoothies creamy and add some natural sweetness. They are also rich in potassium which can help regulate blood pressure and support heart health. Bananas are also high in vitamin B6, which helps regulate your mood, sleep and appetite. On top of that bananas add extra fibre to this smoothie, as well as antioxidants and phytochemicals that help combat inflammation.
- Ginger: Ginger adds a fiery kick, but is also a nutritious powerhouse that we like to add to all our smoothies. It has many anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties which help reduce inflammation.
- Coconut water: Coconut water is like nature’s energy drink. It’s rich in electrolytes like potassium, sodium and magnesium which can help hydrate the body and balance electrolyte levels. It also contains antioxidants and bioactive enzymes that have anti-inflammatory properties. Coconut water is the liquid that can be found inside a coconut, don’t confuse it with coconut milk which is made from the white coconut flesh. On its own it has a slightly sweet coconut flavour, but you’ll not be able to taste it in this smoothie.
Tips & Alternatives
Make your smoothie extra nutritious by adding some extra ingredients like: bee pollen, collagen powder, chia seeds or linseed (also known as flaxseed).
Fresh cranberries are easy to find in the winter months but are more difficult to find the rest of the year. Freeze your own or buy frozen cranberries instead! This way you can add this powerful berry to your smoothies all year round!
Bananas are a wonderful ingredient to add to almost any smoothie. If you’ve got a bunch of bananas lying around that are turning brown then freeze them! Remove the peels, cut them into chunks and add them to a freezer bag or container. Overripe bananas are super sweet and this makes them perfect for extra sweetness in smoothies or other dishes without adding processed sugar.
Smoothies are best enjoyed when they are fresh from the blender. However, you can add all the ingredients (except the coconut water) to a ziplock bag or container and keep this in the fridge until you're ready to blend it up. This will keep for a couple for a couple of days and save you some time in the morning. Now all you have to do is add coconut water and your bag of ingredients to the blender and zap the ingredients into a healthy smoothie.
Each fruit and vegetable has its own health benefits. Try swapping your fruits to create your own unique blend and flavour combo. Use whatever you have left in your fruit bowl or what you can find in your supermarket. Smoothies are a great way to use up fruit before it goes bad.
Are you looking for more healthy recipes to fuel your body?
This Golden Glow Ginger Turmeric Pumpkin Soup will boost your immune system and nourish your body. It’s also perfect for meal prepping!
These Vegan Banana Cranberry Muffins are another great breakfast option that you can make ahead of time.
Try this Roasted Maple Butternut Squash Salad. It’s loaded with all the flavours you associate with the autumn and winter months, but combined into a salad. This nourishing vegan winter salad will have you coming back for more!
Do you want a warming breakfast? This Healthy Apple Pie Oatmeal with Maple Syrup and Pecans is like a cozy hug in a bowl. It tastes like apple pie, but it’s made with nothing but goodness!